Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lessons That Sting



I am bad about this; I constantly fill myself with terrible negative self-talk.  Therefore, you would think that when I actually find out something less than pleasant about myself that it would not surprise me in the least.  However, I was shocked when God revealed something to me that I have been struggling with.  I have to say the revelation I made about myself stung.  I felt ashamed, sad, and I knew that it made perfect sense.  

I learned some very important lessons though this whole situation though.  The first lesson that I learned was to stop the negative self-talk.  I don’t fully believe all the negatives I tell myself in the first place, so why would I continue doing this, and allow myself to erode my own self esteem?  I have started replacing the negatives with God’s promises.  No more, “You are so stupid!”  “You are worthless.”  Instead, “You are loved with a measure beyond compare!”  “You are redeemed!”  “You aren’t perfect, forgive yourself, God has.”  “God has a perfect plan and purpose for you, trust Him and obey.”  I still slip up, but I have to remember that I am a flawed person.  I have to pick myself up and keep going forward. 

I also learned that it is important to listen.  God’s voice is present; we just get so full and busy that we drown out His voice.  I also learned that what was revealed to me is fixable, and is within my control, through forgiveness and love, if I put my ego away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment